Thursday, March 12, 2015

Phichit Temple

There are many temples around Phichit, but there is one main city temple. We went to this temple on the Thais national holiday for the Monks so they were having a whole celebration at the temple. There were a lot of people there! They were having a speech from a Monk and then all of the Monks in Phichit (maybe) were at the temple.


Right when we got there we got a couple fancy flowers, incense, and a candle. When we got there a lot of people were already sitting down and listening to the Monks speech, but it was about over when we got all of our items. 


When the Monk was done speaking everyone stood up, bowed, and lit there candles. Then started walking around the temple three times (with there candle still lit). When I was walking around with all my items the candle kept dripping and burning me and at one point the the ashes from the incense fell off and burnt me. When we were done walking three times (they walk three times which is part of there meditation practice) we put our incense in some ashes, put our candle in a candle holder, then went inside the temple and put our flowers in a basket. Once we put our flowers away we bowed three times in respect for the three refuges in front of the Phichit Buddha.


Each city has there own Buddha and each day of the week also has there own Buddha. This is my Buddha because of the day of the week I was born.

When we were about to leave the temple with our big group I finally tried a drink in a bag, they have them everywhere, it is convenient to have a drink in a bag, but at the same time not really! While I was holding baby Flynn (Tang's baby) and I was at the Phichit Buddhist temple! It felt like a total Asian moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment